top of page


live the story
Puerta de Carlos V

Its construction began in 1548 to replace an older one. It is the work of Pedro Poderoso. It is a memorial that was set up as a homage to the emperor Carlos V, for exempting the town of taxes until it was reconstructed as it had been destroyed in the fire of 1540. The facade features three different bodies; the first opens to a spectacular semicircular arch with the coats of arms of Galicia and Viveiro. The second body is very eye-catching due to the imperial coat of arms that is crowned with the emperor's bust, and flanked by four medallions representing the lineages of the founders of the city.


The ensemble is finished with an artistic cornice, parapet, portholes and decorated battlements. (Official Asset of Cultural Interest and Historical Monument).


Puente mayor
It is also known as Puente de la Misericordia. It is a very long bridge, and according to historical documents, it has existed since 1225, although its reconstruction began in 1462 during Enrique IV’s reign, and finished in 1544 under Carlos V's orders. It currently conserves nine visible arches of the initial twelve, due to the continuous expansions and posterior modifications that altered its original aspect. It served as a pier and as a loading and unloading dock with a crane. Here, you can find the “Cruz do Rollo” and at the end of it, the Ecce Hommo chapel and the Pazo de la Misericordia. 


Convento de San Francisco
The Convent and Church of San Francisco is located outside the old walled enclosure, it belonged to the Franciscans and is believed to have been founded in 1219. The cloister still preserves two very beautiful Romanesque arches of the primitive layout, the current two-story one is the work of Diego Ibáñez Pacheco (1645).
The Church (14th century) is of ogival style in its apse, arms of the transept and different details in the nave. On the main façade it presents two arcosolios that were the original entrances to the chapels of San Luís, bishop of Tolosa, patron of the sailors' guild, and San Juan Bautista (with linear Gothic mural paintings, 15th century).
Inside, the chapels of San Ildefonso, pointed (14th century) and Venerable Orden Tercera (18th century) stand out, with interesting altarpieces and images of International Holy Week. Curious are the arcosolia and tombs of Blessed Constanza de Castro and Nicomedes Pastor Díaz (1923).
The Gothic style apse (14th century), is considered one of the most slender in Galicia, restored in 1965. (National Artistic Hº Ensemble).
Iglesia de Santa María

A Roman church from the 12th  Century that looks like a basilica. It has three wings, three facades, and an apse with a straight passage. In the church, over the interior tympanum of the northern entrance, you can find the artistic group of sculptures of La Piedad (16th Century), which were originally from the demplished Puerta de las Angustias. At the end of the wing, you can find an interesting baptismal font with biblical details.
It is also worth highlighting the gothic, ogival chapel of San Gregorio (1468), with the sepulchral arches of the founders, and the chapel of La Virgen del Rosario (18th Century), with its Baroque alterpiece carving of the Virgen del Rosario (16th Century), and an aticulated Christ (16th  Century).
The apse has a curious set of dig corbels symbolising lust and the capital sins.
(Monumento y Conjunto Hº Artístico Nacional) 
Convento de las concepcionistas
It was built in 1725 by will of Mª de las Alas Pumariño and it was ruled by cloistered nuns. The gate and the main access to the convent are remarkable. Their delicious pastry can also be bought here. Inside, there is a large three-floor cloister with arches on the ground floor (18th Century).
It is a beautiful chapel open to worship, with beautiful tombstones and other artistic elements. 

The Grotto of Lourdes is a recreation of the French one in honour of the Virgin; it was built in 1925. The numerous wax votives offered in gratitude for human and animal healing stand out.  
Porta do Valado
La Puerta "do Valado" y la "Calexa das Monxas" forman un único conjunto.
La Calexa das Monxas separa la huerta conventual de las concepcionistas, donde estuvo la antigua capilla de S. Martiño de Rúa Cuberta, del pazo urbano de los Sotelo Valledor. 
La "Porta do Valado" es una de las seis antiguas puertas medievales que tenía la población, actualmente solo existen tres, al lado de la misma se encuentra el lienzo de la muralla mejor concervado de la localidadad, además, de importantes restos arqueológicos medievales
Porta da Vila
Simple semicircular arch with a barrel vault, which served as the entrance along the so-called Camino Real. It preserves the oldest epigraphic inscription in stone in Viveiro, which says: 
ERA: M:CC:LV: Era 1255 (year 1217)
IN TEMPO AF: in the time of Alfonso (king Alfonso IX)
Inside, above the door it preserves a modern wooden dressing room with the sculptural group of Cristo del Amparo. Next to this door is the Fonte del Cadalso (17th century), which was in front of the Santo Domingo monastery, demolished in 1851. 
Casa de los Leones
Facade of a sumptuous late-Renaissance building from the 16th century. XVII, now disappeared, receives this name from the two large stone lions that appear on both sides of the coat of arms of the Ponte Prada y Pardo de Lama Andrade family, residents of Ferrol. In 1987 it underwent the current remodeling, losing, among other interesting architectural elements, the gallery on the boardwalk and a spectacular stone staircase.
Capilla de la Misericordia

The Capilla de la Misericordia or the chapel of Ecce Homo was founded in 1603 by Rodrigo Alonso Afeirán, and was rebuilt in 1648, 1791 and 1800. It is of the Renaissance style.

The neoclassical alterpiece of Asunción de la Virgen, the High alter, and the historic frescoes of the dome on the life and miracles of Beata Constanza de Castro, by Camilo Díaz Baliño (1917), are exquisitely eye-catching.

The popular image of Ecce Homo is situated and worshipped on the right-hand side of the alter. Many devotees visit it on the first Friday of March, “Day of the Three Graces”, and make three wishes.
The Pazo de la Misericordia is adjacent to the chapel. 
Iglesia de San Pedro

In the past, you could see the Castro da Torre, however it is no longer there.  The church is of a very pure Romanesque style. It was rebuilt in the 9th Century, enlarged in the 12th Century, and refurbished in the 17th and 20th Century.

Its striking lateral stone side walls have varied corbels on the eaves, in which two of them represent women's and men’s sex organs.  In the apse, along the eaves, there is a cord and a rosette carved on the central window, as well as curious corbels, which attract a lot of attention. Inside, you can find the baptismal font, different altarpieces and interesting epigraphs on the left side wall.

It is classified as Cultural Heritage (BIC).
Monasterio de Valdeflores

The Convent was converted into a monastery under the rule of Santo Domingo, in 1406.  The temple is of Gothic style. It was rebuilt in the 18th century and was recently restored. Inside, we can find an alabaster image of Our Lady of Valdeflores, who according to legend, appeared in the exact same spot.  

What also stands out is the beautiful cover of the South side wall, of an ogival style with Romanesque capitals, crowned with a stone image of Santo  Domingo, work of Sarmiento which originally formed part of the ruined convent of the Dominicans.

The Dominican cloistered nuns offer the public a varied assortment of sweets and pastries. 
Callejon del Muro

An old passage that ran along the ancient wall.  

It is one of the narrowest streets in Spain and is only 1 to 2 metres wide. 
Plaza Mayor
The Plaza Mayor is formed by various eclectic buildings which all have elements of the northern architecture in common: slate roofs, wrought iron balconies, glazed galleries and granite or masonry walls. 
It underwent various modifications over time, when the parish church of Santiago (1840), the pillory, the Prison and Casa de los Corregidores (1874) were demolished. Afterwards, it enlarged its perimeter, and two cantons were constructed: Das Zocas and the old Canto de Santiago.  The statue of the writer and politician, Nicomedes Pastor Diaz was erected in 1891; it was designed by the Catalan, J. Campeny, and was recently relocated elsewhere in the square.


It is also worth taking a look at the artistic declining sundial of the old Town Hall, which represents the greatest bridge and the passing lion of Viveiro’s coat of arms; work of J. Sarmiento.  There is also an equestrian Santiago, carved in stone in the corner of the house at Number 2, P. Díaz Street.
Restos de la Muralla
In the area of A Ribeira there are some archaeological windows where you can see two sections of the old wall that reached the now disappeared Gate of San Antonio.
bottom of page